Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Poetry Slam"

Man, did you miss a great show or what. Those teens mopped the floor with their words of peotry last night. Sorry if you missed it but just because I like yall, I'll share a few of their works.

*Life is to be Lived*
Don't move to quick
Don't move to slow
Lose life you get no mo
Where you live or where you stay
Don't turn blue or turn gray
Don't move to quick
Don't move to slow
Lose life you get no mo
Tell yo Mom
Tell yo Dad
If you're gone they will be sad
Life's to short
Life's to sweet
Please besure to buckle your seat
Don't leave yo body or yo feet
Life is to be lived O SOOO sweet

*I never told no one I got chased by a squirrel
A squirrel thats black during winter
We threw snowballs but it continued to come
We ran into a house but it was on a house
Like a silent mouse it watched and waited.
Its been weeks and my friend is scared
Then he was dared to go back out
The squirrel was out jumping like a sprout
We see it again every so often but we just run
Duck and cover and eat a few honeybuns.
We now respect squirrels cause they have alot of brother
Some of them from different mothers.

-Airriyton

*Uniquely Me*
Uniquely me, for all to see
Head up high, proud to be me
Uniquely me, like a dove
God's one true gift from above
Uniquely me, yet I feel the same
As every one else in life's game
Uniquely me, I'm as different as can be,
Nice, clam and simple yea that'e me
I'm unique, I'm odd and free
Uniquely me, yea that's me

*On the outside you see someone you think to be me.
On the inside is someone longing to be free.
There are many differences between me and the real me,
One is the best person you've ever met, that feels caught in a net.
One who will see you through thick and thin,
The other look back to see where you've been.
On the inside is someone you don't wanna know,
And on the outside is someone who needs to grow.

-Rhiannon

*Get over It*
I sat in my room wondering why do I like you
so much?
I could not think why, but then again reasons came flying by
Maybe because you make me smile,
Or maybe because we can talk about things,
Or even maybe for the simple fact I chase you and you don't even respond
Then one night I sat and thought
What if I stop chasing you and see if you'll come running
So I stop and wondered
You didn't call, you didn't speak, you did nothing
It hurt but I got over it
Now when you walk pass I node and keep walking just like you

-Jasmine

No comments:

(Helping Young People Excel)

Detroit Public Library